New York-based country songwriter Cliff Westfall writes songs about heartache, loss, addiction… you know, funny songs. Or he can turn on a dime and dive headlong into a sentimental weeper. The Kentucky native delivers with a mixture of wit and bravado that, for Westfall, is central to what country music is all about. On his new album, Baby You Win, to be released July 13, 2018, he’s assembled a crew of some of New York’s best musicians to explore a new idea of Americana, drawing inspiration from sources often forgotten by the current country scene.
Baby you win - new album out now
riyl | Dwight yoAkam | rodney crowell | nick lowe | robbie fulks
Baby You Win was produced by Bryce Goggin (Pavement, the Ramones, Antony and the Johnsons, Evan Dando, Phish, Akron Family) and Graham Norwood at Trout Recording in Brooklyn, NY and features:
- Electric guitar: Scott Metzger (Shooter Jennings, Wolf!, Phil Lesh, Joe Russo's Almost Dead)
- Electric and acoustic guitar, harmony vocals: Graham Norwood (Bryan Scary, Ward White)
- Pedal steel: Dan Iead (Norah Jones, Valerie June, Cass McCombs)
- Bass: Jeremy Chatzky (Ronnie Spector, Bruce Springsteen, Laura Cantrell)
- Drums: David Christian (Brian Burton aka Danger Mouse, Mary Timony's Helium, Sam Cohen, Hospitality, Sweet Cream)
- Keyboards: Charlie Giordano (Bruce Springsteen)
- Guest harmonies from Matthew Horn (A Don Piper Situation) on "Sweet Tooth," "Hanging On," and "The Man I Used to Be."
- Guest harmonies from Barbara Endes (Girls on Grass) on "A Lie If You Must."
If you'd like a physical copy, please reach out to Devon Léger at Hearth Music/HearthPR: email@example.com.
Recent News and Highlights:
- Baby You Win received a very rare "Two Guns Up" 9/10 review by Saving Country Music and was featured in an article about Brooklyn's independent country music scene.
- The album was named "Album of the Month" and received a 5 star review in the August issue of Country Music People Magazine (UK) along with a feature article.
- Upon release, the album received reviews in Americana Highways, The Vinyl District, No Depression (new releases + album review), Roots Music Report (5 star review), Magnet, The Alternate Root, Hyperbolium, Country Exclusive (8/10 review), JamBase, Midwest Book Review, Listen Iowa and a 4/5 star review in Alt Country (NL).
- The title track "Baby You Win," premiered in Cowboys & Indians.
- "I'll Play the Fool," from Baby You Win, premiered in Popdust.
- "Till the Right One Comes Along," a track from Baby You Win, premiered in Ghettoblaster.
- Baby You Win was selected as one of "Rick's Picks" for the July CD HotList alongside a glowing review.
- "More and More," the first track released from Baby You Win, premiered on PopMatters alongside kind words about the song and the album.
- "More and More" was a finalist in the Chris Austin Songwriting Competition. The competition is held each year at the legendary MerleFest with this year's judges consisting of Rodney Crowell and Johnny Williams.
- Baby You Win was featured in the New York Music Daily and Westfall's live performance was named part of "the best Americana triplebill of the year."